It was during that time that I cultivated my love of kimchi. When you can not only stomach kimchi for breakfast at 7AM but crave it, you really know it's love.
My best friend is coming to visit me in 4 days! She's vegan. Most kimchi has fish sauce or brine shrimp in it, so it's not vegan. And our Whole Foods doesn't sell vegan kimchi, we checked. But you can make your own! Huzzah for self-sufficiency!
You will need:
- 1 napa cabbage
- 1 daikon radish
- 8 green onions
- 2 tablespoons Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup Korean chili powder (found at Asian market)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6-8 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste (found at health food stores)
|(paleo, raw) homemade vegan kimchi|
2. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of salt and allow to brine for a couple of hours
|After brining for about 3 hours|
4. Add a cup of water to the mixture and blend again. Then mix the paste into the veggies. WEAR GLOVES. YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DON'T.
5. Pack the kimchi into a jar and let it sit on your counter for two days. I knew it was ready when I smelled kimchi in my apartment as soon as I walked through the door.
6. Move it into your fridge! It will get even more kimchi-y and delicious as time passes. Fermented foods are so good for you!
My vegan friend pronounced this kimchi "super dank" which is a very high honor apparently. What are your favorite kimchi or fermented foods recipes?